TRENDREATH METHODIST CHAPEL, LELANT
Copyright Maxwell Adams 2013
Version 22 April 2013
You might wish to read the overview of the two former Methodist chapels in Lelant village in the file Lelant methodism
These notes are made from documents lent to me by Sean Lenihan of the Old Chapel, Lelant, this building
The chapel began with the purchase of a piece of land at Trendreath, Lelant from Henry Hosking by a group of Wesleyan Methodists. The chapel was built on that land. The names and occupations of the purchasing trustees are set out in the indenture dated 2 January 1834: from St Ives Roger Wearne esquire, Richard Kernick mine agent, Henry Willey shipwright, Christopher Robins Solomon officer of excise, and Richard Dennis Rodda, printer; from Lelant parish Henry Brush farmer, William Quick farmer, William Cooper gardener, William Nicholas farmer, Richard Dunn miner, James Pearce farmer, John Cogar blacksmith, Francis Perry agent, Peter Thomas miner, and Robert Bryant farmer; and John Hobson, the superintendent preacher at Penzance.
In the same indenture the remainder of the lease for the land on which Polpeor Preaching House� stood was assigned by Hosking to the trustees who were now in occupation. The lease was dated 31 December 1828. and carried a yearly rent of five shillings.
The land and lease cost the trustees £85.
An indenture dated 16 July 1856 records the death of some of the 1834 trustees and appoints additional ones.
Roger Wearne, Henry Willey, Christopher Robins Solomon, Henry Brush, William Cooper, William Nicholas, James Pearce, Francis Perry, and Robert Bryant had died since 1834 and William Quick had "long since ceased to be a member of the Methodist Society". The surviving trustees were supplemented by additional trustees. These additional ones were: James Hosking farmer, John Stevens builder, William Eddy farmer, James Pearce carpenter, James Warmington miner, Matthew Quick farmer, William Christopher farmer, all of Lelant; Waterhouse Kernick printer, Richard Cogar miner, and Thomas Cogar miner, all of St Ives.
The indenture put the chapel at Trendreath and Polpeor Preaching House in to the hands of the continuing old and new trustees.
A conveyance of 25 May 1866 records the sale for £105 of a house by Richard Hosking, a farmer, and his mother Ann Hosking, both of Lelant, to John Stevens of Lelant, a coal weigher, and George Stevens of St Erth, an ironmonger. The house was occupied by a tenant, William Gregory. This house is the present 1 Chapel Cottages, Lelant. The house next door, presumably 2 Chapel Cottages, was at this time occupied by William Bodinnar. In effect the chapel bought the house.
Ann was the widow of and Richard the son of Andrew Hosking, the last named dying 7 September 1847 at the sold house.
A note added to the 1866 conveyance says that 1 Chapel Cottages was sold by the Methodists in 1979 to a private purchaser.
An indenture of 21 December 1894 records the sale for £155 of two houses by George Stevens to the reverend Thomas Richards, the superintendent minister, and the Trendreath trustees Edward Mitchell auctioneer, James Harvey grocer, John Hosking station master, William Toms market gardener, John Pearce farmer, Matthew Cardew farmer, John Martin railway clerk, and John Nankervis grocer, all of Lelant; James Dunstan of Canonstown, farmer; Francis Craze of Trevethoe, farmer; Francis Craze of Polgrean, farmer; Richard Kernick of Falmouth, gentleman; and Richard Henry Permewan of St Ives, draper.
The houses were occupied by tenants William
Gregory and - Harvey. They are presumably the present 2 and 3 Chapel Cottages,
George Stevens was the son of John Stevens, the latter dying 31 March 1879.
Trustee appointments from 1834
Trustees were appointed at meetings on 2 January 1834, 16 July 1856, 16 November 1877, 13 November 1891, 8 August 1917, 21 June 1921, 7 April 1948, and 29 December 1964. The memorandums of appointment record the occupations and addresses at date of appointment as a trustee or at a date subsequently noted, and the outturn for trustees appointed at the previous appointment meeting; and records the new trustees.All unnoted addresses are Lelant. The trustees that I have recorded as resigned are recorded in the memorandum as desires to be discharged. The first date in the following is that of first appointment as a trustee.
I have put "not reappointed a trustee in 1877" and "not reappointed a trustee in 1917" to identify those trustees who had died by or resigned in 1877, or died by or resigned in 1917. The available records do not enable me to say whether death or resignation applies.
The list is in alphabetical order of surnames.
Thomas Mitchell Anthony, blacksmith, 1877, resigned 1891
John Blight, insurance agent, 1917, gardener by 1929, retired gardener by 1948, living at Eastleigh by 1948, died before 1964 appointment meeting
John Edwin Blight gardener, Nineveh 1948, at 1964 continuing appointment described as storeman living at 2 Eastleigh
Cecil Frank Bowens, labourer, Idaho Cottage 1964
Henry Brush farmer, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Robert Bryant, farmer, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Matthew Cardew, farmer, 1891, resigned 1917
William Christopher, farmer, 1856, retired farmer by 1891, dead by 1917 appointment meeting (surname Christophers 1856, 1877, 1891, Christopher 1917)
John Cogar, blacksmith, 1834, dead by 1891 appointment meeting
John Cogar, gentleman, 1917, resigned 1929
Richard Cogar, miner, of St Ives 1856, not reappointed a trustee in 1877
Thomas Cogar, miner, of St Ives 1856, not reappointed a trustee in 1877
William Cooper, gardener, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Isabel Courtice, spinster, Restcott 1948
Francis Craze, farmer, of Trevethoe 1891, living at Wantage by 1917, retired farmer by 1917, dead by 1929 appointment meeting
Francis Craze farmer, Polgrain/Polgrean 1891, resigned 1917
William Craze, farmer, of Trenown, Nancledra 1917, merchant by 1929, died before 1948 appointment meeting
Richard Dunn, miner, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
James Dunstan, farmer, of Ludgvan 1877, dead by 1917 appointment meeting
William Eddy, farmer, 1856, dead by 1891 appointment meeting
Harry Edmonds, builder, 1917, died before 1964 appointment meeting
Phillip Edwards, farmer, of Ludgvan 1877, discharged 1891 as out of Britain for more than twelve months
Henrietta Flew, widow, Rose Villa 1964
Henry George, farmer, of St Erth 1877, resigned 1891
Charles Lewis Gregory, gardener and chauffeur, Chapel Cottage 1948, mechanical implement driver by 1964
Ivan George Gregory gardener, Claremont, Canonstown 1948
Kathleen Mabel Gregory, married woman, Lannant 1964
Kathleen Maud Gregory, married woman, Chapel Cottage 1964
James Harry, cordwainer, 1877, shopkeeper by 1891, dead by 1917 appointment meeting
Andrew Harvey, signalman, 1917, resigned 1929
Alma Kate Harvey, married woman, 1929, died before 1948 appointment meeting
Cyril Merthyr Hawes, railwayman, Trevue 1964
James Hosking, farmer, 1856, dead by 1891 appointment meeting
John Hosking, station master, 1891, retired station master by 1917, dead by 1929 appointment meeting
James Jenkins, Wesleyan minister, 1929, died before 1948 appointment meeting
Anita Jones, spinster, Rose Villa 1964
Richard Kernick, mine agent, of St Ives, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meetingRichard Kernick, gentleman, 1891, dead by 1917 appointment meeting
Waterhouse Kernick, printer, of St Ives 1856, resigned 1891
Florence Jane Maddern, spinster, Trendreath 1948
John Martin, station inspector, 1891, resigned 1917
Robert John May, railway station master, of St Erth 1929, died before 1948 appointment meeting
Edward Mitchell, auctioneer, 1877, of Canonstown 1917, dead by 1929 appointment meeting
Helen Mitchell spinster, 1929, living at Halwell by 1948, died before 1964 appointment meeting
John Nankervis, grocer, 1891, retired grocer by 1917, dead by 1929 appointment meeting
William Nicholas, farmer, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Catherine Old, widow, Idaho Cottage 1948, died before 1964 appointment meeting
Alfred Olds, butcher, 1917, living at Towans Farm by 1948, retired butcher by 1948
James Pearce, farmer, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
James Pearce, carpenter, 1856, not reappointed a trustee in 1877
John Pearce, farmer, Roseangrouse 1891, resigned 1917
William James Pellow, farm worker, 1929, died before 1948 appointment meeting
William John Penberthy, retired engineer, 1929, died before 1948 appointment meeting
Richard Henry Permewan, draper, of St Ives 1891, living at Connor Downs by 1917, retired draper by 1917, resigned 1929
Francis Perry, agent, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
William John Polglase, carpenter, 1917, resigned 1948
Stephen Polkinghorn, farmer, 1877, not reappointed a trustee in 1917
Matthew Quick, farmer, 1856, not reappointed a trustee in 1877
William Quick, farmer, 1834, at the 1856 appointment meeting recorded as "long since ceased to be a member of the Methodist Society"
Richard Dennis Rodda, printer, of St Ives 1834
William Roseveare Rosewarne, retired farmer, 1917, died before 1948 appointment meeting
Annie Smith, married woman, 1929, resigned 1948
Christopher Robins Solomon, officer of excise, of St Ives 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Christina Southcott, widow, Trecott 1948
Ernest Henry Southcott, builder, 1929, dead by 1948 appointment meeting
John Stevens builder, 1856, dead by 1891 appointment meeting
Samuel Hendy Stevens, secretary, of St Ives 1917, resigned 1929�
Peter Thomas, miner, 1834, dead by 1891 appointment meeting
William Toms, farmer, 1891, resigned 1917
Harry Benney Trewhella, insurance inspector, 1929, resigned 1948
John Henry Verrant postman, Blytheswood, Lelant Downs 1964
James Warmington, miner, 1856, not reappointed a trustee in 1877
Roger Wearne esquire, of St Ives, 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Thomas Morley White, retired farmer, Penselwood 1964
Henry Willey, shipwright, of St Ives 1834, dead by 1856 appointment meeting
Emily Williams, married woman, 1929, discharged 1948 as out of Britain for more than twelve months
Joseph Williams, retired accountant, 1929, discharged 1948 as out of Britain for more than twelve months
Charles Harold Wills, market gardener, Sunnyside, Canonstown 1948, died before 1964 appointment meeting