LELANT NATIONAL SCHOOL© Maxwell Adams 2008
Version 20 May 2008
These are largely my notes but I have put any ipsissima verba from the sources in "speech marks." Any additional comments by me are in <angular brackets.> The logbook entries I have noted here run from 1898-1940 with a very few after that. The managers' minutes run from 1869.
There is more about the National School on this website here.
Lelant National School, a Church of England school, had two sorts of inspection: one by the local diocesan inspector from the Church of England and concerned primarily with religion, one by an HM inspector, from the national department of education, who looked at the school in its entirety. Here are two contrasting reports on the school in 1911. Over the years the reports of the diocesan inspector were generally laudatory and somewhat superficial while those of the lay inspectors (HM inspectors) were detailed, mixed, and sometimes very critical.
The Diocesan Inspector, Edward F Taylor, visited on 9 June 1911 to test the children. His report, put in the logbook on 24 September 1911 said:
"The large Infant Group was bright and interested and did very well indeed. In the next group everything was excellent and also in the highest.
It is a pleasure to visit this school where the memories for many years are those of work, well taught and brightly learnt and reproduced.
The instruction given is evidently of real value to the children as life training.
The order and tone are excellent."
HM Inspector, AH Cherrill, visited 10 July 1911 and his report was entered in the headteacher's Logbook on 4 September 1911:
"The premises of this school are not well arranged. Three classes are taught in one room, and the fourth class is separated from them only by a thin partition that is by no means soundproof. The desks of one class are awkwardly placed in the darkest angle of the room, in some proximity to the entrance door as to interfere with the free ingress and egress. In the Infants room a useless gallery occupies the space that should be available for free exercises, and prevents a suitable arrangement of desks.
The cloakrooms can only be entered from the schoolrooms. The elder [sic] boys and girls and the infant girls to reach their playgrounds and offices <lavatories> pass along the public road which, as it leads to the golf links, is increasingly used for motor traffic.
Additional cupboard accommodation is much needed.
With three classes taught in one L-shaped room it is difficult for the teachers and children to hear one another speak, and the difficulty is increased by the indistinct utterance of many of the boys (itself partly due to the conditions under which they are taught) and by the restless shuffling of the children in one class where the teacher is not sufficiently strong in disciplinary powers to retain the attention of her class under such conditions.
The teaching generally is conscientious but not skilful. Modern ideas and methods are little understood, and the work is largely of an abstract and theoretical type depending rather upon 'rules of thumb' and a blind following of the teacher's pattern than upon the cultivation of the children's own powers of observation and reasoning. The infants satisfactorily master the mechanical difficulties of reading, but in the upper classes reading aloud, with which the reading lessons seem mainly concerned, is dull and expressionless, and the children show little capacity for grasping the meaning of what they read. Books are used rather as pegs upon which the teachers may hang information than as a means for the children to acquire information for themselves. No practical work is done in nature Study or in Arithmetic. Even Scale Drawing is done from diagrams, and is not associated with Mensuration. In Needlework more attention should be given to the actual mending and making of garments.
The tone of the school is pleasant and its influence is undoubtedly good.
The timetables are old and not in all respects suitable, as has been pointed out to the Master. The provisions of Article 44 9e of the Code are not observed."
These are notes on the National School, Church Road, Lelant that I made from the school's second logbook which covers the period February 1898-1975, when the school moved to a new building in Carbis Bay. The first logbook appears to be missing.
The following measurements are handwritten in front of the logbook in the hand of WJ Taylor: Schoolroom is 61 feet by 14 feet high Classroom is 20 feet by 16 feet
In 1936 the measurements (in feet) were: Classroom 29 by 16 by 14 (464 square feet) Classroom 32 by 16 by 14 (512 square feet) Classroom 20 by 16 by 14 (320 square feet) Boys' cloakroom 9 by 11 Girls' cloakroom 9 by 11 Infants' cloakroom 4 by 4
An entry for 1898, handwritten by WJ Taylor, reads: Trustees: Reverend John Tonkin, Mrs Fanny Adela Higgins, Reverend RF Tyacke, Mr JW Tyacke, Mr RWG Tyringham, Mr HH Batten
Managers: Reverend RF Tyacke, Reverend J Tonkin, Mr RWG Tyringham, Mr HH Batten
Teachers: Master, William J Taylor (Exeter 1882-83) Assistants, Jessie Morley (Article 50), Elizabeth Hannah Barnes (Article 68) Pupil teacher, Nellie [Mary Ellen] Williams (2nd year)
Official school number: Education Department 12 069, S and Agt 10 914.
Notes on the logbook entries
The initial date is that of the entry in the logbook.
16 February received circular about "stone throwing at telegraph wires" and cautioned children about this
25 February about ten village children with whooping cough
1 March "magic lantern entertainment" for children this evening
7 March school examined in religious knowledge by the diocesan inspector whose report said the school result was "excellent." He commended pupils named on page 5 of the log book.
17 March "Again reported Martha EDMONDS for irregular attendances"
25 March bad weather made many children late
30 March letter received from the medical officer of health (MOH) of West Penwith Rural District Council, James MUDGE, <who lived at Trewynn, Marazion> saying "in consequence of the prevalence of whooping cough in the neighbourhood, I order the National School at Lelant to be closed for one month from this date."
2 May school reopened with permission from the MOH
4 July received one gallon of carbolic acid
5 July dispatched the form about Betton's Charity to the Ironmongers Society
29 July-28 August inclusive, holiday
22 September hay holiday in the afternoon "it being the harvest thanksgiving service." Tyacke tested the registers, found them correct, and signed the log book - this was done at intervals
3 October grant applied for: the salary of Miss Elizabeth BARNES was £30, to add £10 to the head's salary, to add £1 to the salary of Miss MORLEY, to add £1 to the pupil teacher's salary, £4 for a cupboard. These requests were approved by the Diocesan Association on 19 September 1898.
5 October "The offices received their monthly clean last night" <the offices were the lavatories>
20 October the district surveyor called after the head's complaint about the state of the road outside the school and said it would be attended to
11 November "Mr Hedley WALTERS, the Relieving Officer, called to inquire about the attendance of the pauper children"
22 October HM inspectors' report on the school for the year ending 30 September 1898: "Very conscientious and methodical work is done in this school. The Master spares no pains...Some of the younger children are rather backward...The tone and discipline are excellent. The gallery in the corner of the <main> room might be removed with advantage..."
17 November "The vicar visits the school daily"
22 December pupils dismissed for Christmas holiday; "Each child received an orange, a packet of sweets and some nuts, the gift of the vicar, Mrs TYRINGHAM, Mrs CHADS, and Mr BATTEN."
9 January the main room gallery removed during the holidays and a new floor laid
15 February the school went to church for Ash Wednesday
10 April six children have left the village, two new pupils admitted. HM inspector visit, 87 pupils present
May holiday for the queen's birthday
3 July average attendance for the quarter ending 30 June was 93 percent
23 October Miss Elizabeth REDFERN of St Ives National School began work today (born 23 September 1881) with a view to being recognised under Article 68
October <page 28 of log book> the scheme of work set out: geography began with a plan of the school then went on to the countries of Britain and Australia, English included the parts of speech and parsing, repeating Lucy Gray (in Standards 1 and 2), The wreck of the Hesperus (Standards 3 and 4), and The deserted village (Standards 5 and 6). Later details included for boys drilling including marching in the playground and practical mensuration of objects around them, drawing, Southey's Blenheim singing, history, arithmetic, needlework and sewing, and physical education.
27 October HM inspector report for the year ending 30 September 1899: "The order and discipline are excellent and the attendance...has been most satisfactory" <Most reports are critical of the lower school>
19 December magic lantern entertainment for the children from 5.30 pm to 7 pm.
21 December nuts, sweets, and oranges for the children from the school's managers
24 February since 8 January 21 new children admitted
21 May halfday holiday for the relief of Mafeking
31 May "half holiday given on receipt of the news of the occupation of Pretoria"
17 October pupils on the register number 109
21 October a photograph of Percy EDMONDS hung in the school as he "made every attendance for six years." In December he got a silver medal in a morocco case and a book.
26 October HM inspector report: "The stoves should be guarded and lavatory arrangements provided. If a water supply could be brought in, and used for the closets in place of the present cess pits, it would be a benefit to the school." Miss REDFERN recognised under Article 68.
26 November Miss REDFERN received a month's notice
3 December Lucy RICHARDS admitted, probably going to be a pupil-teacher, became one in 1902
17 December magic lantern show given by the headteacher
23 April St George's day half holiday
1 May holiday as a "public welcome given to privates J GLASSON, W MILLETT, and S MILLETT on their return from South Africa were they had been on active service. Privates W MILLETT and S MILLETT were old scholars of this school and Private GLASSON has for some years been a member of the Evening Continuation Class."
4 June morning holiday for Foundry fair
13 June boys drilled in the playground by Sergeant COLLINS lately of the Devon and Cornwall Light Infantry "who will give one lesson weekly."
14 June a tea in the village, half holiday
5 September upper classes marched to the towans to see the testing of the rocket life saving device
27 November HM inspector report called for more frequent cleaning of the school
3 December TYACKE died, no lantern show this year
4 March "Received a telegram...this morning that the Channel Fleet were in the bay. The whole school was taken to the towans at 11.40 to see the ships."
2 June peace proclaimed in South Africa, half holiday
15 July F TREVORROW fined five shillings for children's irregular attendance
7 September "Owing to the closure of Messrs Harvey and Co's foundry at Hayle a number of families will be removing from the village."
1 October the National School today came under the control of Cornwall County Council
23 December a silver curb chain presented to Percy EDMONDS for perfect attendance
27 July the school attended the funeral of pupil Mildred LAWRENCE (Standard 6) who died on Sunday
8 September the school attended the funeral of pupil Cassie BARTLETT aged eight
22 December school breaks up and each child got nuts, sweets, oranges, and a toy
11 January HM inspector report after visits of 25 March and 30 June 1904 said "In the lower classes the lessons are not successful in arousing and stimulating the interest of the pupils who neither speak readily or audibly...needlework appears to have suffered from want of materials"
7 June report of the diocesan religious education inspection on 19 May said that new bibles and prayer books were needed. Pupil numbers in group 1 were 35, in group 2 were 23, and in group 3 were 44 (a total of 102 pupils in the school.
8 June the drawing inspector said "The desk accommodation is inadequate"
26 September pupil teacher Lucy RICHARDS is to attend the PT Centre at Penzance of her time; "the lower group (Standards 1 and 2) will be in consequence without a teacher and cannot receive the necessary attention with the present staff."
6 October HM inspector's report on a visit on 8 September: all right but criticised dull lessons in the lower classes and "Better attention must be given to the urinal and offices <lavatories>. The seats must be washed oftener than at present. More desks are needed." On the infants he wrote: "One teacher can hardly be expected to superintend the work of so many young children without help of some kind."
6 April Dolly Whatty fell and dislocated her arm
25 September HM inspector report is better on the lower classes. After each diocesan report the commended children got prizes.
24 May "Empire Day. The school was decorated with flags and a lesson given on the British Empire."
31 May Lucy RICHARDS left to get married. She was given six fish knives and forks and carvers in a walnut case.
3 September Miss E HOSKING of Ludgvan began as Assistant, Article 68
20 September MOH closed the school because of a measles epidemic. The school reopened on 14 October after being scrubbed and disinfected.
The managers visited often and always found "everything satisfactory"
16 July "interchange of our library with that of Trevarrack School"
24 May Empire Day flags and bunting in school. At the close of morning school the children wearing rosettes and carrying union jacks marched to the Vicarage
10 June children measured and weighed at a medical inspection <no results recorded in log book>.
March told that Easter holiday would be changed to Golf Championship Week at the end of April <presumably children needed as caddies> though Good Friday and Easter Monday were got as holidays
16-26 July a week's holiday for the coronation of George V
3 July pupils on roll number 112
16 October the managers inspect the building
23 April the vicar talked about St George "after which the children carrying union jacks paraded the village"
2 August the diocesan inspection report of a visit on 31 May: "Excellent (distinguished). In no school in the diocese is there more satisfactory tone or evidence of the interest taken by the children. Everything was excellent..." 16 May inspection: "There is nothing but praise for the work of this school. Everything was excellent..."
5 September the county education architect, Sampson Hill, visited the school
12 December the school got a new cupboard from the education authority, Cornwall County Council
23 April patriotic songs sung
6 May a holiday for the dedication of a new organ at St Uny's Church
7 January Mrs EJ NICHOLAS became caretaker in place of Mrs J SANDERS, deceased
29 January RWG TYRINGHAM visited and wrote in the log book the "premises in good order"
9 May received a formal notice from the Board of Education that the school's "Offices at present cramped and unsatisfactory." The notice refers to the school as Lelant Church of England School Number 311.<The offices are the lavatories>
31 August during the holidays the playground was relaid with ash and gravel and the offices limed
31 August diocesan inspection report on a religious education inspection on 15 May: "the especially excellent work of the teachers in this school continues to produce specially excellent results...Everything was excellent." Work inspected over the years included written analyses of collects and "repetition" (16 June 1916), "written repetition" (1 June 1917), chanting (6 September 1915), and finding places in the bibles and prayer books. There are no HM inspection reports in the log books though two HM inspectors visited on two separate occasions.
9 February two girls began a cookery course at Penpol Centre, Hayle. <The course was still going on in June 1926.>
25 March pupils went to the Cross to see the Yorkshire Regiment pass through the village
1 July a roll listing thirty two ex-pupils on active service hung in the school
19 April children collected £2-15-12 for sick and wounded horses at the Front. A collection for the same cause on 23 April 1918 raised £2-2-6. On 25 May TAYLOR reports that they collected thirteen shillings for comforts for the soldiers and sailors. There were various collections: 21 September 1916 £1 sent to the Jack Cornwell Ward of the Star and Garter Home; 24 May 1918 £1-15-0 collected for cigarettes etc for soldiers; 10 July 1918 £4-16-7 collected for Blind Soldiers Childrens Fund.
22 October Mrs JOHNS appointed caretaker from 1 November 1916. She was buried 10 December 1917.
31 October Miss WILLIAMS left after twelve years as Assistant Mistress (see St Ives Weekly Summary 23 November 1916; she was presented with a silver-plated teapot.)
1 December Miss Clara CURNOW (late of St Ives and St Erth schools) began as Assistant Mistress today
8 January Mrs EJ NICHOLAS appointed caretaker in place of her mother, Mrs Johns
16 January MOH closed the school because of measles; reopened 28 January, then closed again because of measles, and finally reopened 11 February
13 March Miss HEYGATE, Board of Education, visited the school
12 July France Day: an address to the children and the Marseillaise sung
15 October the school closed because of influenza, finally reopening on 4 November
12 February a branch of "Our Dumb Friends" started at the school by Miss M SEALY
26 February ranee Margaret BROOKE visited and spoke to the children about kindness to animals and the aims of Our Dumb Friends League. She visited again June 1920, March 1921, 1 May 1922 (when she gave Easter eggs and sweets), November 1922, and June 1925.
28 March the return of the district clerk shows an average of 76 pupils on roll, average attendance 72 pupils, opened only 114 times
1 May the girls decked in garlands paraded the village and collected £1-2-0 for St Dunstans Homes for Blind Soldiers. On 3 May 1920 they collected fifteen shillings for St Dunstans.
6 May Margaret BROOKE presented prizes for essays on kindness to animals
31 July Lelant Cottage Garden Show today at which pupils won prizes
12 November £16-2-6 sent to the Levant Mine Disaster Fund after a collection
22 March received a German rifle from the National War Savings Association
5 August the school won the Challenge Shield at the "Lelant Cottage Garden Society" annual exhibition
30 September MOH closed the school until 11 October because of diphtheria
27 November "A football club formed in connection with the school." 19 September 1921 "Football Club formed" with different officers.
9 May "A cricket club formed in connection with the school."
28 July Lelant Flower Show at Trevethoe Park: the school names 101 wild flowers 1922 8 July diocesan inspection report says, "Few schoolrooms are so full as this one is of things of interest - museum cases, pictures, specimens." The report described Taylor's work as head over thirty five years as "of uniform and unusual excellence" <but compare HMI report 12 April 1923>
August WJ TAYLOR and Miss MORLEY retire
11 September Winifred M ADAMS began as head with Miss MB TREBILCOCK (from Copperhouse Council School) a Supplementary Assistant Teacher
29 September Miss CM CURNOW left to get married
9 October Miss SM GEEN began as Uncertificated Assistant Teacher
12 April HM inspection report says, "There has been an entire change in the staff of this school within the past six months. A general improvement is noticeable in the attitude of the children towards their work which, as a whole, shows a distinct advance...The methods employed in the teaching of the Infants Class are now more suitable to young children and the work is promising." This appears to be the first HMI report in the log book since 1911. <HMI and diocesan inspection reports differ>. This HM report gives along list of "more noticeable improvements" in geography, history, oral reading in the first class, and the introduction of handwork. The school is still weak in arithmetic, reading in the second class, and recitation.
13 April Margaret BROOKE gave an Easter egg and sweets to each pupil
24 May RWG TYRINGHAM provided a gramophone record of the king's and queen's speeches, a gramophone in the school (new head spells it gramaphone)
24 March number on roll 58
11 November children attend the service at the War Memorial in the village, and also in 1925. On 11 November 1926 thirty seven children attended the war memorial service and laid a wreath. <The pupils regularly commemorated 11 November.>
<A Christmas entertainment was given by the pupils most years from 1923. The money raised was used to buy things for the school (eg a wash basin in the boys' cloakroom April 1929).>
20 April Miss HL TAYLOR takes up the headship
26 June the head writes: "The older boys of the school...greatly impede the work of the school and are not amenable to discipline. Their influence on the younger boys is very bad..." She reorganised the classes to keep older boys away from others (26 May 1925 the diocesan inspection again found the school excellent)
31 July Margaret BROOKE took the school for a picnic on Trencrom Hill
23 September forty nine books given by Mrs PEEL form the nucleus of a school library <also see 16 July 1908>
10 December older children visited Hayle to see a P and O liner in the harbour
1 March HM inspection, the subsequent report saying, "...the teachers work but most of the children are idle and pay little attention to the teaching..." Some work was "at a low level" but "there is no disorder and the children are well-mannered out of class." <This report was not entered in the log book until 1930.>
22 March Bird and Tree (Arbour Day) Movement - a cadet corps was already formed in the school
9 June holiday for a "big village fete"
22 July holiday for the local flower show and children's sports
October "Four boys have lately given serious trouble and have upset discipline" - the head reported this to the managers
3 January Miss CARVOLTH (Cheltenham College) took temporary charge of the school
12 May no teacher at the school and the pupils were sent home by a manager, Mr HUGHES
24 May Empire Day medals given to each from Captain IRWIN, ice cream from Mr HUGHES
1 June the older pupils visited Truro, leaving Lelant at 8.52 am and getting back at 8.30 pm. They visited the museum, art gallery, cathedral, and river.
30 January lantern lecture in the evening, given by a parent, on heroism
23 March a doll and bed bought for the juniors and a maypole for the seniors
30 March school colours introduced: brown and yellow. All children bought hats or caps and some ordered blazers <no uniforms in 1936 Cornishman photograph>
I June Miss AW THOMAS (from Ludgvan School) began as an Uncertificated Assistant Teacher, Miss GEEN having been temporarily transferred to St Ives Infant Department
13 July Mrs BALL entertained the pupils to tea in the grounds of Littlewood
August the pupils picnic at Carn Brea
31 July open day at the school, the pupils' work being seen by parents etc
2 August Miss THOMAS left to nurse her invalid mother
9 September Miss Alice Muriel COSSENS appointed Supplementary Teacher. She was born 14 December 1908 and educated at Penzance High School.
20 September a harvest sale and jumble sale raised money for a sewing machine
21 March HM inspection report of visit of 17 December 1929: "The headmistress, who has been here about three years, has succeeded in restoring the school to good order and discipline." It said the older pupils needed bigger desks.
16 May the school choir do very well at the Cornwall music festival at Penzance. On their return to Lelant they were met by the village band who played them up from the station. Margaret BROOKE gave them chocolates a few days later. The 1930 Christmas concert was a success, raising £8-10-0. (In January 1933 the school repeated its concert to raise funds for Lelant Band.)
19 May Miss COSSENS went to Ludgvan School
1 August Miss GEEN left to go to teacher training college
8 September Miss Renee May LIDDICOAT (?) was appointed Uncertificated Assistant Teacher
1 October Alice Maude RODDA appointed Probationer (born 19 January 1913)
4 December Horlicks scheme: for 1/2 d the children get a hot midday drink. The company provided the cabinet. About twenty children used the scheme.
13 January a portable gramophone and three guineas of records have been bought from Hollows, St Ives. (In November 1936 the vicar brought in his radio for the armistice service.)
29 September older boys and girls visit the electricity works
1 October Eileen EDWARDS appointed monitress at the school starting at £16 a year, rising by year three to £20.
12 April coal delivered to the school was stolen over night
July visit by train to London seeing the tourist sights and the zoo
<From time to time people gave gifts to the children, eg in December eg in 1932 Mr HARRY gave a case of apples.>
The education year is to run September-August in future not April-March
September twelve pupils visit Frys, Bristol
October the vicar began taking the boys for football on Lelant Hockey Club field
9 November Miss LIDDICOAT leaves for St Agnes
10 November Eileen EDWARDS appointed a Supplementary Teacher at £45 a year
December the pupils entertained at Mr LAWRY-COLE'S expense in the village hall
December new uniforms arrived
May to celebrate the jubilee of George V each pupil under fourteen was given a mug
31 May Eileen EDWARDS left to get married
18 July some pupils attend an open-air performance of the Merchant of Venice
2 September Miss Vivien NOYE appointed Uncertificated Assistant Teacher (from Trythall School)
September some boys are attending the woodwork centre at St Ives
1 November Miss CARVOLTH left
4 November Miss H HARPER became head
6 January number of pupils on roll 32
19 February pupils have their photograph taken
25 June number of pupils on roll 27
September number of pupils on roll 31
September number of pupils on roll 42
October the first ARP class at the school
24 October pupils have their photograph taken
2 November after a meeting on 31 October, an Old Pupils Association formed, to meet at the school on Tuesday nights
17 January new year's party for the Old Pupils Association
7 March only six pupils present (chickenpox, whooping cough, measles, etc were prevalent throughout the pupils) <There were two classes in the school, infants and seniors, the latter including pupils aged eight to fourteen>
11 September number of pupils on roll 53
November a Philco radio at the school on trial
10 June a new secondary school opens at the Belyars, St Ives, nine children leave taking the dual desks and chairs and the senior English and arithmetic books; Lelant National School becomes an infant and junior school only
14 June evacuees (and staff) arrive in Lelant from north London. They did not get a summer holiday, the local children did.
1966 number of pupils on roll about 100 in three classes. 24 April 1966 the school gets a television; June 1974 it gets a colour television. .
22 June 1972 Ordnance Survey ask for permission to reinforce a mark outside the school recording a height of 77.35 feet above sea level.
23 May 1975 last day of Lelant School; the present Lelant building commenced in 1832 with a grant of £60 from the National Society (Anglican). 2 June 1975 St Uny's School opened at Carbis Bay.
The Lelant school building was sold October 1975.
Minutes of the National school managers 1869-
These are notes that I made from the minutes of the Lelant National School managers for 1869-1893 (document CRO DDP/120/2/50-51)
19 March 1869 a meeting at the National School at which Tyacke, the vicar, said:
*there were no living managers except himself
* there was no income for the school
* the salaries (exclusive of books, apparatus, fuel, furniture, repairs, etc) came to £50 a year
* Tyacke would not continue the school on the present footing after midsummer 1869
The meeting elected four managers plus the vicar; agreed to advertise in the National Society monthly newspaper for a master at a salary made up of £30 a year cash plus half the government grant plus half the boys' pence; and to try to procure funds for the school.
John Henry PHILLIPS of Perranzabuloe was appointed master in June 1869 on the basis of his declared qualifications. The Minutes of 10 November 1869 say: "It having been in consequence of these statements <of qualification and experience> made by Mr JB Philips that he was elected master by the committee <of managers> on June 16 1869, and these statements proving to be without foundation, it was resolved that in consideration of Mr Phillips's recent severe illness and his future prospects, the school managers consent to his remaining as master until Christmas next, subject to his working the school thoroughly until this date."
Thursday 2 December 1869 Mr J STUDWICK (ex-Winchester Training College) elected master. He was paid £35 a year plus half the government grant plus half the boys' pence plus a quarter of the girls' pence.
19 April 1871 James Hill HODGE (ex master of Rhyl National School) elected master. Like Studwick, he was paid £35 a year plus half the government grant plus half the boys' pence plus a quarter of the girls' pence.
September 1871 The sewing mistress left. Miss Rebecca MORLEY was appointed sewing mistress and Sunday school teacher from Sunday 1 October 1871. She was paid £6 a year for working as sewing mistress on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1.45 pm to 4.15 pm.
30 June 1874 Richard Henry SCADDAN, pupil teacher, "dismissed for insolence to the master and general neglect of duties."
Alfred COPE (Second year student, Exeter training College, formerly a pupil teacher at Helston National School) was appointed master after Christmas 1874. He was paid £40 a year plus half the government grant plus half the boys' pence plus a quarter of the girls' pence plus all the profits of the evening school.
John COCK was master from 1 January 1876.
On 1 January 1884 WJ TAYLOR became master. He was paid £30 plus a third of the government grant plus half of all the pupils' pence plus the whole of RI. If this did not total £70 by Christmas 1884, it would be made up to that amount with any excess over £70 being kept by Taylor. In addition he got all the profits of the evening school.
1 January 1884 Miss Jessie MORLEY appointed assistant mistress at £12 a year plus 8 <?cannot read> a week in order to give her freedom on a Saturday by payment of a charwoman
Mr TYRINGHAM undertook to rebuild the school according to plans approved by the national Department of Education. The school met at the Primitive Methodist Chapel from Monday 14 May 1893 at a rent of £1 a month.
3 December 1893 Reverend JB JONES, vicar of St Ives, reopened the school. A note in the Minutes says: "The larger portion of the school is on freehold given by the Reverend TONKIN for a school on the site."
The managers were elected by subscribers. A list of ten subscribers is at the back of the minute book.Home